Wat Nong Klub is an old temple and has provided
spiritual leadership and education to the people of this
district for many years.
Several documents indicate that this site has been continuously
settled since the reign
of King Rama II.
Between1917 and 1950, Thammakant Niwat
was the temple’s provost; and Wat Nong Pho, as it was
known, was part of the
Takhli District. During this time, the provost was directed
to restore the temple and
build a new one in the
old pavilion. It is currently located in the swamp known to
many as “Luang Old Father.
” This area is also known
as “Luang’s Cane,” “The Town,” and “The Wild Tomato.”
The temple itself is architecturally plain by
regional standards. Its walls and roof are made of cement
instead of tile. This
is meant to bring out the temple’s natural beauty, as well
as the natural beauty of the
surroundings. This architectural
philosophy was championed first by the Japanese architect
Beside the windows of the structure are
beautiful murals. Thai tradition dictates that the color of
should be determined
by donations of paint and not by an artist’s pre-planned idea.
This means that the colors
used cannot be anticipated;
meaning that no two temple murals are the same. This mural
exemplified in Muang
Nakhon Sawan, and is an art form that is respected throughout